Is your dog a bit overweight? I can bet that you still want to feed your furry friend with delicious treats, that’s ok, just look for natural, low calorie and healthy dog treats. Let’s explore together!
If your dog is overweight, you may need to feed them healthy low calorie dog treats. Pups with weight more than they should have, are at a greater risk of getting numerous health problems, including digestive problems. They also become inactive, which leads them to gain more weight.
So, modification in your four-leg friend’s diet is in the best interest of you both. You will not feel anxious about them, and they will have a sound and healthy life. The good news is that you can feed your dogs with some tastiest low calorie dog treats. Thanks to some brands that are making dog’s foods that are amazing in taste as well as healthy.
However, not all the products in the market contain low fat, which is why you need to pick up the right one according to your canine’s taste buds and health status. So, it is vital to read the ingredients of the product and look for the food that specifically introduces itself as low-fat food.
Here you can learn about some of the best dogs treats with low calories and with pretty awesome taste.
Reviews: Best Natural Low Calorie Dog Treats
These healthy low calorie dog treats come with the main ingredient blueberries, which gives all the powerful antioxidants your canine needs. It also includes a few other high-quality ingredients which help your dog hold their weight or help them to get rid of some extra fats. You can reward these cookies to your dog of any age while training.
The size of the cookie is typically best for the large and medium dogs, but you can break them to feed your little puppy. Dogs that are sensitive or have allergies can also have a taste of Bandit’s Biscuits because it is free from corn, wheat, and soy. Some dogs opt for fresh food. These cookies have a resealable package to keep it as fresh as it comes right away from the oven.
Don’t worry, if your dogs don’t like it. This product also provides you return guarantee.
- Best for pups with allergies.
- Do not contain gluten and grain.
- Perfect for dogs who need more antioxidants in their food.
- Makes training attractive for your canine.
- Some pups don’t like the taste of its main ingredient, blueberries.
- To feed small puppies, you need to break them into pieces.
These soft and chewy dog treats have peanut butter as the main ingredient. Your pup of any age or breed can enjoy its delicious taste. You can use it for training, just to feed them between meals, or just keep it in the pocket to give them low-calorie snacks at any time. Buddy Biscuits contains only ten calories each treat. Means, you don’t have to worry if they eat a couple of them in a day.
The best part, it doesn’t contain any artificial color, fillers, or ingredient. Moreover, these biscuits don’t have any corn, soy, and grain as its ingredient. Buddy Biscuit’s company has been serving in this field since 1999 and has a mission to provide all essential nutrients to your pup.
- Peanut butter is all that some dogs prefer.
- Contain only ten calories per treat.
- The company is famous for making healthy foods for canines.
- Free from any artificial or harmful ingredient.
- Peanut butter can be a reason for some dogs to run away from these biscuits.
- Some dogs may not like their extra chewy and soft taste.
You can’t find lower calories more than Zuke’s in any other dog food. It is one of the best low calorie dog treats with less than three calories each piece of treat. This dog food is best for the training purpose or to feed small breed puppies.
It is soft and chewy, and its central ingredient is chicken, which also provides protein to your dog. Besides this, it also contains turmeric and cherries to enhance the flavor and to make it healthier. You can also keep your dog’s tummy away from corn, wheat, soy, and from any artificial ingredient, including flavors or colors.
- Delicious taste and easy to chew.
- Favorable for training purposes and to give small dogs of any breed.
- Contains only 3 calories per treat
- Made from pure and healthy ingredients
- Every dog does not love the chicken taste.
- Some dogs don’t need a high level of protein.
- Made for only small pups.
Homemade Best Low Calorie Dog Treats
The following are some of the best low calorie dog treats that you can make at home for your overweight dog. These recipes will help you to feed your pup something which maintains or reduces their weight.
Pumpkin Cookie with Peanut Butter
- 3 cups of whole wheat flour
- 7 oz pumpkin can
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup of water
- 4 egg whites (or substitute with 2 whole eggs)
- 1/2 tbsp salt
- 1/2 tbsp cinnamon
- 3 tbsp peanut butter
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
- Take a mixer and toss a pumpkin, eggs, water, peanut butter, cinnamon, and salt in it. Push the button to start the machine and let it be until it gets mixed.
- After perfectly combine, add whole wheat flour in it. You need to put little water to get all ingredients mixed together. Means, you may need to add Â¼ cup of water. Let the mixer on, all this time.
- Now toss the dough on a cutting surface. Cut into four pieces. Roll each piece into logs of one-inch diameter. Cut the piece into half.
- You will get around 61 bones.
- Take a baking tray and grease it. Place the cookies on it.
- Put the tray in the oven and bake it for 30 minutes until it gets semi-hard.
- This recipe makes dry dough for which a stand mixer is best. You can also do it by your hands.
- If you feel your dough is dry, then add some water, and if it is sticky, then add flour.
- Bake it for 40 minutes, but if you want soft texture, then take the tray out after 30 minutes.
- You can place it at room temperature only for a few days and refrigerate it for five days.
Banana and Carrot Treat
- 1 medium banana
- 1 cup ground carrots
- 1/8 cup water (also keep additional 1/8 cup water aside)
- 1/4 cup unsweetened apple sauce
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1 and 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
- Additional flour for handling the dough
- Start with preheating your oven to 350 degrees.
- Take a small bowl and mash the banana in it.
- Shred the carrots and mix in banana.
- Pour apple sauce and water in it.
- Take a medium-size bowl and toss flour and oats in it. Whisk them together.
- Now pour the small bowl’s content into it. Stir the mixture until all the ingredients hold together.
- Knead the dough in the bowl with your hands.
- Take out the dough on the floured surface and knead it until a perfect dough forms.
- Roll out the dough. Cut its pieces with cookie cutters.
- Grease the baking sheet. Put the cut-outs on the sheet and place it in the oven.
- Bake it for 25 minutes.
- You can purchase package pre-shredded carrots to make this. But still, you will need to use your knife to make their small pieces. It is better to shred carrots at home because you can leave the skin, which gives your dog more nutrients out from the carrots.
- If your dogs love crunchy cookies, then you need to keep them in the oven overnight after you turn off the oven. This will make them crunchy without getting hard texture.
As you have learned about the best low calorie dog treats, you also need to understand about your pup’s taste buds. They might not like the main ingredients of some of the upper mentioned treats. So, if this happens, choose the one that has ingredients that your little furry friend loves.
Moreover, with giving them low-calorie food, also try to make them do some exercise regularly. If you want to keep your pup healthy, you need to work on them. You can also take them on longer walks to burn their extra fats.