Last updated: May 2nd, 2020
Can dogs with sensitive stomachs still enjoy yummy ‘‹’‹treats? The answer is yes, especially if they are created especially for a sensitive stomach! Read about the best ingredients and top dog treats for sensitive stomach reviewed!
Sensitive Stomach Dog Treats – Natural and Yummy Choice
Your dog is like you in many ways and the digestion problems are no different. Just as we may feel sorry about eating spicy burrito, a greasy burger or pizza, dogs can have stomach issues after eating any amount and type of food. The sensitive stomach issues can be due to many reasons indeed (please, check our article on the topic or download my detailed guide to natural nutrition for sensitive stomachs).
If your pup has a sensitive tummy, then they are not alone. There are many dogs who suffer from stomach problems, either they had it from birth, or they develop it over the years. Both ways, it can be a problematic situation for you and your little fellow. You need to find some healthy dog treats for sensitive stomachs.
Your dog must get everything that helps them support the digestive system, as well as give them suitable and essential nutrients. So, you need to choose your companion’s food wisely. Some of the products claim to support the digestive system, but you see their words wrong when your dog faces more troubles after eating them. This is why it’s important to pick the right one to avoid further health problems.
Can dogs with sensitive stomachs still enjoy yummy ‘‹’‹treats? The answer is yes, especially if they are created especially for a sensitive stomach!
Here we have reviewed some best products for sensitive stomach dogs, which not only boost their tummy health but also treat other issues in their inner and outer body. If you don’t want to buy any one of them, you can make homemade cookies for your dog with the easy and simple recipes mentioned in this article. First, let’s find out the ingredients to look for in the dog treats for sensitive stomachs.
How do I know if my dog ‘‹’‹has a sensitive stomach?
A sensitive digestive tract has numerous symptoms such as diarrhea, constipation, intestinal gas, vomiting, nauseas, heartburn, and acid reflux, but the truth is that your dog may have digestive problems even if the symptoms are not obvious. If you suspect that your four-legged friend has a problem, the first step is to visit the veterinary nutritionist to rule out any other health problems. Once they are discarded, it’s time to start adjusting your dog’s diet, including the main food and the yummy treats.
What Ingredients do I need to look for in dog treats for sensitive tummies?
It is essential to feed your dog with high-quality nutrition, which also helps them to deal with their sensitive stomachs. The following are some of the ingredients you need to look for in the treats of your sensitive pup.
- Digestible carbohydrates (don’t purchase products with wheat and corn)
- High-quality animal protein, such as lamb, salmon, turkey
- Healthy animal fats, such as salmon oil and chicken fat
- Vegetables and fruits provide key nutrients.
- Avoid artificial flavors, colors, and preservatives.
- Prebiotics and probiotics to encourage regular digestion.
Ingredients to Avoid in Treats for Dogs with Sensitive Stomach
The treats that you choose cannot contain any ingredients that are difficult to digest, including wheat and gluten bran, corn, beef, peanut, meat, artificial colors and flavors, sweeteners, and chemicals. Many commercial dog treats contain at least some of them, so homemade recipes or natural dog treats allow you to control the ingredients and make sure that any toxic substances are minimal.
Please, note that the excess fat can cause upset stomach and acid reflux, so if you opt for cooking, you’ll need to look for healthy fats and oils.
Easily Digestible Ingredients in Dog Cookies
The easily digestible ingredients that should be present in dog treats for a sensitive stomach are rice, oatmeal, chicken (without skin as it can irritate the stomach), cooked vegetables such as potatoes, green beans, carrots, squash or zucchini.
Any dog treats that have apples as an ingredient can help with acid reflux problems. Some vitamins and minerals, especially those that have powerful antioxidant properties, can help improve your dog’s digestive function.
You can choose the most appropriate doses of vitamins C, E, A along with beta-carotene and selenium.
Reviews: Best and Soft Dog Treats For Sensitive Stomachs
When you are shopping for a good treat, look at the ingredients list and try to choose treats that offer most if not all of those options.
As a general rule of thumb, please, limit the fat content to about 15% of your dog’s diet.
Excellent treats that are proven to work well for dogs with sensitive stomachs are:
This is one of the best dog treats for sensitive stomachs. Fitapet improves the digestive system of your pup, and also treat the problems like smelly gas, diarrhea, and bad breath. This probiotics formula is pretty good to deal with allergies, food sensitivity, and anxiety. You can feed this to any dog aged above six weeks.
Treats that are particularly suitable for dogs with allergires or anxiety.
If your dogs are picky, still the smell of food will attract them to it. This means you don’t have to worry and run after them to give capsules or liquids forcefully to help them conquer stomach problems. This probiotic soft treat also contains digestive enzymes that help the pup’s stomach to break down all essential nutrients to gain all their advantages.
- It contains Probiotic formula.
- It helps your dog to digest food.
- This treat prevents stomach problems such as diarrhea.
- It has a money-back guarantee.
- Some dogs may not like it because of its chicken flavor
- Your dog should have age more than six weeks to eat this product
Hill’s Science is famous for treating multiple issues of pups by making healthy food products for dogs. They also have a product for dogs with a sensitive stomach. This dog treat for sensitive stomachs is merely for small puppies. It supports the digestive system and also helps in nourishing your pup’s skin.
This formula cotains omega-6 and vitamin E and is designed for small puppies.
It boosts digestive health and helps to prevent stomach issues. The vitamin E and omega-6 fatty acid content in this product aid your dog to get a shiny coat and healthy skin.
- Great for stomach problems
- Made from high-quality ingredients
- Helps pup maintain a shiny outer look by healthy skin and lustrous coat
- Design for only small puppies
- Some dogs may not like its flavor
This dog treat for sensitive stomachs focuses on both skin and stomach health. Your dog can get all nutrients, which can also help them to treat other health problems because of the combination of salmon and rice. The salmon not only boost their digestive system, but also treats heart problems, eye-sight problems, high blood issue, and others. Its rice gives your dog calories to maintain their weight.
The best part is, Purina Pro Plan is free from any kind of artificial elements, color, or flavors. Moreover, it doesn’t contain wheat and soy, which most of the other products have. By giving this healthy nutrient-dense food to your dog, you can enhance their outer and inner health.
- Contain many ingredients, including salmon and rice
- Not only great for the digestive system but also helps to restore overall health
- Promote skin health and prevent skin problems
- Have chewy and soft texture
- Some pups run away from the flavor of salmon and rice
- Some dogs don’t like extra soft treats
This delicious treat is perfect for all breeds and sizes of dogs. The probiotics present in this product helps in both the digestive and immune systems of your little furry friend.
Buddy and Lola help to reduce problems like bloating, diarrhea, and smelly gas. These treats are soft and contain no artificial colors and fillers.
- Helps to boost the immune system
- Perfect for any breed from small to big dogs
- Some dogs don’t like its flavor
- Few dogs may not like it due to the soft texture.
These treats are different from other products available in the market because of their sticks like shape. EcoKind treats are made from the yak’s and cow’s milk, which helps to improve the digestive system of your pup.
These chews are gluten, corn, and soy-free, which make them perfect for sensitive tummies. Moreover, these easily digestible treats are odorless as well as delicious in taste.
- Contain natural and healthy nutrients
- Come in stick-like shape which attracts pups
- Some dogs will not like their taste
- Not have many nutrients to support whole-body strength
As the name suggests, these treats contain probiotics and digestive enzymes that improve the immune and digestive system of your pup. The minerals and vitamins in this product also support the cognitive function of your little fellow.
Probiotics treats are perfect for dogs of all ages and sizes. This anti-diarrhea and anti-gas product will solve almost all the issues of sensitive stomachs. These soft chews don’t contain any unhealthy and artificial ingredients.
- Perfect for all sizes and ages of dogs
- Support immune and digestive system
- Some pups may not like the flavor of these dog treats
- Some dogs may not like the soft texture
These are one of the best treats and Orijen has a number of freeze-dried treats. They are free of artificial flavors, colors and preservatives, which will help your dog’s stomach immensely. In addition, they have limited ingredients with the main ingredient being duck.
Dogs generally love the taste and having a handful of these treats won’t give them an upset stomach. They can be a bit on the pricey side but are well worth the expense.
Again, this dog treat offers a treat that is free of any additives and artificial ingredients. It is a jerky treat that is made with five simple ingredients ‘“ the primary ingredient being chicken. The company avoids any grains and omits glycerin, a common ingredient in canine jerky treats, and this means your dog will have fewer tummy problems when eating them.
Price is generally great; however, they can be a bit harder to find in some areas. I’d recommend to look for the best price on Amazon because of the wide choice of sellers.
Finally, Zukes Natural Dog Treats are excellent for dogs big and small. What I like the most that they have limited ingredients and are free of fillers. You can find several different flavor options and a high quality, single protein is the main ingredient.
They are generally cost effective and can be found both online and in stores.
Recipes for Homemade Dog Treats for Sensitive Tummies
These simple recipes are the right choice if you are ready to start cooking for your pupÂ´s sensitive tummy and you want to avoid any commercial products at any cost. They are easy and you’ll have fun when you prepare the shapes:)
Oats and Rice Dog Biscuits
This dog biscuit for sensitive stomachs is the easiest way to give something healthy to your dog without hurting its inner digestive system. You can make around two dozen big biscuits or four dozen small biscuits from the lower mentioned recipe. Also, it will only take 30 good minutes to get ready.
- 1 cup of rice flour
- 1/4 cup chicken broth with low or no salt
- 4 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup green beans
- 1 cup quick cook oats
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 3 oz apple sauce
- 1/2 cup diced carrots
- Pinch of salt
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Take a baking sheet and grease it well with olive oil.
- Take a bowl and toss all the dry ingredients in it. Mix them well.
- Take another bowl and add all wet ingredients in it. Whisk them well.
- Now, put all the dry ingredients into the wet ingredient bowl. Mix them together.
- Make different shapes of the batter. You can also use the cutter for it.
- Place the shapes on the baking sheet and put the plate into the oven. Bake for 10 to 20 minutes until it gets light brown.
- Allow it to cool before giving it to your furry friend.
Peanut And Pumpkin Butter Dog Biscuits
This one is for the pumpkin and peanut fans. If your dog is also one of them and also have a sensitive stomach, you should go for the following recipe. You will be able to make approximately 30 to 40 large biscuits and 60 to 70 small cookies.Â
- 2 large eggs
- Pinch of salt
- 2 and 1/2 cups brown rice flour (you may also use wheat flour)
- 1/4 cup peanut butter (without artificial sugar)
- 1/2 cup pumpkin puree with sugar (use mashed sweet potato and can add little water to increase softness)
- Preheat your oven to 350 Fahrenheit.
- Take a large bowl. Add eggs, pumpkin puree, and peanut butter. Whisk all the ingredients together until smooth.
- Add flour and salt in the same bowl. Mix them with a rubber spatula or with your hands to form the dough. If the dough is too dry and not holding together, add a few drops of water or little pumpkin puree.
- After the dough gets ready, knead the dough into a ball and roll it out onto a surface. Use any cookie cutter and cut your pup’s favorite shape.
- Take the baking sheet and grease it. Place the cookies on it (you can put them closely because they will not spread out during baking).
- Put the sheet in the oven and bake it for 20 minutes. When done, take out and flip all the biscuits. Put it again for 10 to 20 minutes.
- Let it cool before feeding to your excited pup.
This is another recipe for dog biscuits for sensitive stomachs, perfect for dogs who love the oatmeal flavor and soft cookies. The best part is, you will be able to make it around in 40 minutes and can make approximately 20 big cookies.
- 1 Â¼ cup rolled oats
- Â½ cup cooked brown rice
- 3 tablespoon sunflower seeds
- Pinch sea salt
- Â¾ cup boiling water
- 2 tablespoon sesame oil
- 3 – 4 tsp barley or rice syrup
- Â½ cup whole wheat flour
- Preheat the oven for 375 degrees.
- Take a pan. Toss oat flakes on it and roast it. Stir them until they start emitting a warm smell.
- Pour Â¾ cup of boiling water in it and let them cook for 10 minutes.
- Sprinkle a pinch of sea salt, sesame oil, and rice or barley syrup on it.
- Stir while adding whole-wheat flour, sunflower seeds, and cooked brown rice.
- Take a baking tray and grease it. Spoon out the mixture on the tray.
- Place the tray in the oven and bake it for 25 minutes.
- Let it cool before serving.
The quantity of ingredients is sufficient to prepare about two dozens of big treats or four dozens of small treats for smaller dog breeds.
Carrots + Rice and Chicken Treats
- 1 cup of rice flour
- 1 cup oatmeal (better oatmeal that can quickly cooked)
- 1/4 cup of unsalted or slightly salted chicken
- 4 tablespoons of olive oil
- 1/2 cup diced carrots
- Apple sauce
- 1/2 cup chopped green beans
- 1 teaspoon of baking powder
- A pinch of salt
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Put some olive oil on your favorite baking recipient. Mix all the dry ingredients in one bowl and then mix the wet ingredients in another. Then put together all the ingredients. Prepare your treats in the shape of dog cookies and place them on the tray. Bake for about 10-20 minutes or until the cookies are roasted. Always let them cool before you put them in a container. Alternatively, you are ready to surprise your canine with these natural and yummy treats for their sensitive stomach.
Above mentioned dog treats for sensitive stomachs can help you a lot. They all work to support the digestive system of your four-legged companion. You don’t need to give your pups any extra capsules or syrup to prevent their stomach problems such as diarrhea and bad breath. With all their healthiness, your canine will love the taste of soft treats.