Can I feed my dog sweet potato every day? Of course, you can. Find out how and prepare a yummy recipe at home!
Humans have been growing potatoes for thousands of years. Potatoes are one of the top crop productions in the world. They are healthy for humans as well as for canines. However, your dog may have faced health problems if it eats it raw.
Unripe potato plants, including its leaves and stems, contain a defensive poison called solanine. This poison can cause adverse effects in your pup. It can cause problems with its nervous system, disturb its digestion, blur its vision, and slow down its heart rate. So, it is better to give them cooked or baked potatoes.
Cooked sweet potatoes are best for your pups because they are low in carbs and calories. Moreover, they also have lots of vitamin A and Vitamin C content, as well as proteins and fibers. They are healthy food for your dog, and you can feed them sweet potatoes regularly. However, if your dog is chubby, and you think they don’t need carbs at all, then don’t feed them sweet potatoes daily.
How to Prepare Sweet Potatoes for Dogs?
Fish and Sweet Potato Pup Food
Fish is an ideal source of protein, especially salmon. It is also an alternative for dogs that don’t like chicken. This combo of sweet potatoes and fish will give your dogâ€™s taste buds a different taste. The following can become the ideal treat for your little furry fellow.
- Â½ sweet potato
- 2 fillets of codfish
- 4 tbsp. of sunflower oil
- Â½ cup of ground sesame
- Sesame seeds
- Chopped Parsley
- Preheat your oven to 350 F.
- Take the sweet potatoes, peel, and cut it in cubes.
- Take a pan and fill it with unsalted water. Place the cube in the pan and boil for 12 minutes.
- After that, check if they are ready by putting a knife through any cube. If it comes clean, then turn down the flame.
- Cover the baking pan with a tin full and put two pieces of cod on top.
- Drain the sweet potatoes in a sieve and put those around two pieces of cod.
- Pour 4 tablespoon of sunflower oil on top of potatoes
- Place the pan in the oven for 35 minutes.
- Place it to one side for another 30 minutes.
- Take it out, and after it gets cooled, sprinkle it with sesame seed and chopped parsley
Beef Stew for Dogs
Are cooked sweet potatoes good for dogs? Yes, they are, plus they taste wonderful.
This recipe provides your dog’s body lots of protein and vitamins. It is much healthier than canned foods. The best part is that you can store it in a fridge for a week.
- 1/2 cup of green beans, diced
- 1/2 cup of flour
- 1/2 cup of water
- 1 pound of beef stew meat
- 1 small sweet potato
- 1/2 cup of carrots, diced
- 1 tablespoon of vegetable oil
- Bake a sweet potato in the microwave for 5 to 8 minutes until it gets tender. Set it aside.
- Make the slices of beef into small chunks.
- Pour vegetable oil in a pan and add the beef pieces in it. Cook on simmer for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Take out the chunks from the pan, and reserve the drippings.
- Cut the sweet potato in that pan
- Heat the drippings on medium heat. Start adding flour and water in it while whisking. Make a thick gravy out of it.
- Add meat, sweet potato, green beans, and carrots into the pan and stir the ingredients and gravy together.
- Let it be on the stove until the carrots get tender, for approximately 10 minutes.
- Let it cool and then serve it.
- You can keep them in the fridge for 5 days.
Fish, Veggies, and Sweet Potatoes Dog Food Recipe
This food is best for your hyperactive dog. It is rich in fibers and is the best alternative for completing all the nutrient needs of your pup.
- 2 sweet potatoes
- 1 Â¼ cups of mangetout
- 2.2 lbs. of frozen white fish
- 3 parsnips
- 3 carrots
- 1 whole cabbage
- 1 bag of couscous
- Cut the sweet potatoes and put them in a large pot.
- Dice the carrots, parsnips, and cabbage – put them into the pot.
- Add the boiled veggies and mangetout till carrots get tender.
- Place the fish in it and cook it on a simmer for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Put it aside after it gets cooked and cool it before feeding it to your pet.
Shine Out Your ‘Dog’s Day by These Sweet Potato Healthy Products
Your dog will love this treat, which is a combo of sweet potatoes and chicken. Cadet gourmet has no artificial filler, colors, and flavors. Moreover, it has low fat and high protein, which makes your dog healthy and less fatty.
This treat also provides necessary vitamins to your four-legged companion. These treats are also best to train your dogs, and you can reward them with these delicious treats at the end of a training session. You can also give them between the meals as a treat to keep them happy.
- Contains health benefits of both sweet potatoes and chicken
- Contain vitamins
- ‘Doesn’t have any artificial element
- Low in carbs
- Not suitable for pups that don’t need high protein
- Some dogs don’t like sweet and savory flavors
- Puppies who need carbs don’t get their needs from it
This product only contains one major ingredient, sweet potatoes. This means that it has fewer carbs and calories, but is high in fiber and proteins. This high-quality product can help your dog fulfill all its protein needs. The wholesome pride sweet potatoes chews don’t contain any artificial elements, such as fillers and preservatives.
It is easy for your dog to chew. This product is vegan, gluten, and grain free, which makes it easily digestible. These sweet potato chews are also perfect for canines with allergies.
If you are searching for something that also contains minerals, this item is best for your pet. Moreover, it helps your dog’s health in terms of its skin, coat, eyes, and muscles.
- Doesn’t contain a single artificial ingredient
- Helps with maintaining weight
- Provides almost all types of nutrients
- Some dogs don’t like eating sweet potatoes alone
- Its high source of protein is not good for small dogs
- It can cause fat storage in puppies because of its protein content
You can feed this product to all your dogs, whether they are small or big. This delicious food has a savory taste, which can make your dog wild. It contains fibers, vitamins, proteins, carbs, and minerals. All these ingredients are present in balanced proportion, which makes it the healthiest food for your four-leg companion.
Because of the sweet potato, Blue Ridge is high in protein, which makes it best for the athlete’s dogs, which need strength more than others. The best way to feed it to your dog, put 5% of the treat in the dog’s bowl, and add fresh water in it. After giving it to your dog, ‘don’t forget to wash your hands.
- Full of fiber, vitamins, minerals, and proteins
- Healthy food for all breeds
- You can adjust its quantity according to your requirement
- Only based on one ingredient
- Some dogs find the savory smells repulsive
- You need to balance the quantity of this food for small puppies
These dog treats are chewable but thick, and are the best alternative to rawhide. If your dog likes to eat something thick, then it will love this product. Like other products mentioned above, it is also high in fiber and low in fat. Moreover, a pack of these delicious treats is a high source of essential Vitamins B6, C, and A.
Sweet potatoes have a major role in barks veggies, which are 100% natural and come from US farm grown sweet potatoes. Moreover, the manufacturer uses everything made in the US, which makes this product high in quality.
- They have a return policy
- All elements used in it made form the US
- Thick consistency and easy to chew
- Only one main ingredient
- Not made for thin puppies
- Some pups ‘don’t enjoy thick consistency in meals
Are you looking for something full of nutrients for your grain, soy, and corn allergic pup? You can try this food. This tasty treat is free from soy, grain, and corn. Unlike others, Kingdom pets jerky has made this tasty food from farm-raised chicken and farm-cultivated sweet potatoes. Moreover, cultivation doesn’t involve any harmful elements.
You can feed it to any breed and dogs of any size. Cut the treats in pieces when you feed small puppies. A pup with allergies can also eat these yummy treats. Since additives are not used when making them, it supports the digestive system and prevents disruptions in the endocrine system.
- Lower risk of allergies
- Best for all dog breeds from puppies to full-grown dogs
- Promotes proper function in your body, including the digestive system
- You need to crack it before giving it to your pup
- Not good for a pup that should avoid eating chicken
Thanks to this article, you now know how to prepare sweet potatoes for your four-legged friend. You can thrill your pet and fulfill its dietary requirements by following the recipes mentioned above or choosing one of the best healthy sweet potato treats on the market.
Join the Doglovely newsletter and get your FREE Ebook “Natural Foods for Dogs with Sensitive Stomach”